Thursday, March 30, 2006

3.29.06

Breakfast:
One slice toasted banana bread
Plain yogurt, blackberries, half a banana, drizzled with honey
2.5 cups of Celebes coffee

Lunch:
PB&J
an orange

Snack:
1 Red Hook ESB
3 black pepper popadoms, which were, in my opinion, not very enjoyable.

Dinner:
Rice with whole cumin
Daal, made with 2 Thai chilis, 2 chopped tomatoes, red lentils, turmeric, and a wee bit (1/4 tsp) of cayenne. I accidentally ate one of the Thai chilis, and began hiccuping insanely, which could only be cooled down by a few spoonfuls of yogurt and breath-holding. This reminded me that, when I was initiated into a certain Final Club, I was made to eat a hot pepper (childish, I know). I don't recall what sort of pepper it was, but it made me hiccup a great deal. So now I know that eating hot peppers entire piss off my diaphragm.
A south Indian beet dish: chopped beets and slightly re-hydrated dried coconut thrown into vegetable oil in which mustard seeds, whole cumin, two finely chopped Thai chilis and curry leaves had been simmering for a bit of time. The beets were cooked until soft-ish.

This dinner was all in all pretty good, and accompanied with a half a bottle of Blackstone Cabernet Sauvignon.

Dessert:
A coffee ice cream/chocolate syrup milkshake.

2 Comments:

Blogger dubs said...

i don't know if you've had it before and i just didn't notice, but the concept of toasted banana bread is one that had never occurred to me and yet seems completely delicious. can you confirm?

7:16 AM  
Blogger MMW said...

Toasted banana bread, done under the broiler, is pretty off the hook. It's necessary to put little pats of butter (salted, obvs) on the bread before you toast, because it musses up the gentle surface of your banana bread to try to scrape butter into it post-toasting.

This may interest you, but my dad used to toast us cake donuts sliced in half under the broiler, with butter. Consuming them definitely will be the base of some sort of future Proustian archaeology of memory, some day. In short, very very good, particularly if you have some dull plain donuts sitting about that you need to get rid of.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home