Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hello There: Danooowms!

Hi! For the next week you can read about what I eat, right here on the blog. Let's start with some answers.


When was the last time you ate an entire, full-size candy bar? What kind of candy bar was it?
I can't remember the last time I did this, but it was probably either a Twix or a Snickers. Most likely over a year ago.

What is a food you ate all the time as a kid, but which now disgusts you?
I used to eat dried dog food as a child. The taste, I admit not to minding, but the imagined content of dried dog food is terrible to contemplate as an adult. Stonewall's "Jerquee" tastes very much like the dog food I remember from my youth, and I eat it about one package every couple months.

A quirk of fate leaves you in each of the following cities for long enough to have only one meal. What/where do you eat? Boston, Cambridge, New York, LA.
Boston: unknown. Cambridge/Somerville: Dali. New York/Brooklyn: Franny's. LA: unknown

What is a recent food impulse buy which you regretted? Which you were delighted by?
Regretted: Coca Cola Blak, though the guy at the counter said it was "awesome," so try it.

Delighted: Some wine I can't remember that tasted like olives and smelled like barny hay.

What was the most satisfying meal you ever prepared for yourself and ate while totally drunk?
I cannot remember things when I am drunk. Probably macaroni and cheese with sausage, onions, and curry powder.

If you had to have one of the FoodFriends design your diet for a week, whom would you select?
Jack or MMW

What are the shows you watch the most on Food Network? What are your thoughts on: Rachael Rae, Alton Brown, Nigella Lawson?
Iron Chef, though I also like Tyler's Ultimate. The shows about sugar sculptures make me angry and Sugar Rush is particularly disappointing. I've started watching Ham on the Street. Don't know Nigella. Rachel Ray has a very grating way of speaking and seems, sexually, like "one of the guys". Alton Brown is probably a jerk.

If I told you that you could only eat one of the following for the rest of your life, but you could always get whatever you chose as fresh and as good as possible, which would you choose? Also, assume that whichever you chose would be seedless: (1) Oranges (2) Clementines (3) Tangerines
Oranges.

Also, do you prefer plastic wrap or aluminum foil?
Plastic wrap for sealed storage and dough-making, foil for cooking.

I have a teleporter, and can send you anywhere in the world for dinner. Where will you go, what will you have?
Alinea in Chicago or Fat Duck in England. Or Joel Salatin's Polyface Farm (for anyone reading The Omnivore's Dilemma).

Do you have any well-loved or detested cookbooks?
Cook's Illustrated's The Best Recipe is my main cookbook, with Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone a close second. Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Cooking is superb and has the definitive pesto recipe. Brillat-Savarin's The Physiology of Taste, while not exactly a cookbook, is essential reading. Special mention to Dali's Les Diners de Gala and Marinetti's Futurist Cookbook.

What is your relationship to caffeine?
Coffee in the morning from the french press or the bialetti. Beans from Mud in NYC or Stumptown Roasters in Portland.

I have a food replicator from Star Trek Next Generation, what do you order and how do you order it?
Venison, very rare.

Are there any foods that would receive an f- grade from you?
Soy blue cheese.

In my family we often took to calling Ramen Noodles "Trash Noodles." Do you have any cute food nicknames?
My father made both "Mexican Pizza" (a baked tortilla with cheese and salsa) and "Bachelor's Stew" (some kind of goulash with green beans, ground beef, and cheese). We also call the green part of the lobster the "Tamale", but I think this is a more common expression.

Based on what you've read of the diets of each food reporter, which food reporter would you eat?
SC "Jerquee"

Along the lines of "Salt," "Cod," and "History of the World In Six Glasses," what foodstuff would you most like to read a book about?
Ice Cream.

Is there any food you are embarrassed about how much you like it?
Dog food.

6 Comments:

Blogger she-hubbs said...

Do you like old Tyler's Ultimate, brand new 2006 re-tooled Tyler's Ultimate, or both? I prefer old -- I liked when he traveled, and it is sad to me that Tyler '06 has reached the age where fat packs onto his body and never leaves.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I understand that your paramour and FoodFiancée is a vegetarian. Do you currently keep vegetarian? Looking back on a flexitarian lifestyle, what are your feelings on the vegetarianism versus "standard" human omnivorism?

Also, where and how did you learn to cook? This is a more open-ended question, but I'm adding it to the FQ anyways, suckaz!

11:41 PM  
Blogger danooowms said...

Because of my limited experience with Tyler's Ultimate, I cannot tell whether it is New Tyler or Old Tyler. However, my favorite episode was one where he went to Copenhagen to have ham.

6:58 PM  
Blogger danooowms said...

Jack -- I may get into your first question later in the week. Maybe too much to leave in a comment. However, I learned to cook pretty much by myself, from following recipes and watching television. But most of what I used to cook back in Cambridge was a variation on pasta or a cheeseburger. I also weighed about 10-15 pounds more than I weigh now. I cooked full-time when I moved to New York and had a real kitchen. Eventually, I found that the food I was making at home was superior to most food I could cheaply get in a restaurant, and that cooking was a profoundly relaxing activity for a aesthetically-minded shut-in.
Now it's a much more communal activity, and while I eat quite a bit less meat at home than I ever did before, I eat very well and have learned a lot about kinds of food I once dismissed as hippie stuff.

7:14 PM  
Blogger SC said...

why would you eat me?

11:44 AM  
Blogger danooowms said...

I thought, oddly, that you would taste good dried and smoked. It was just a hunch.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home