Sunday, July 09, 2006

I eat food, too.

Hello. Excited to be here.

Food Questionnaire

When was the last time you ate an entire, full-size candy bar? What kind of candy bar was it?

I ate a whole “cookies and cream” Hershey bar after getting tired from a hike. But that was a while ago.

What is a food you ate all the time as a kid, but which now disgusts you?

Crème-filled doughnuts (like éclairs). Up until a couple of years ago I ate them all the time (and every Sunday morning while growing up). In 2001, Josh Lieb dared me to eat five of them in one morning. I did it easily. Now I think they’re gross. I have no good explaination for this.

What is a recent food impulse buy which you regretted? Which you were delighted by?

a.) Fudgy the Whale ice cream cake. It melted before I could even cut it! b.) Lebron’s Lightning Lemonade Bubblicious gum. It has raspberry flavor in with the lemonade. I thought it was great.

What was the most satisfying meal you ever prepared for yourself and ate while totally drunk?

I never cook.

If you had to have one of the FoodFriends design your diet for a week, whom would you select?

Danger, because I know he might actually do it now that I have selected him.

What are the shows you watch the most on Food Network? What are your thoughts on Rachael Ray.

I don’t really watch food television. The last food show I saw was an episode of “Unwrapped” last Halloween about how they make Halloween candy. I saw Rachel Ray once. She was making a big deal about trying tofu, like it was a big deal for her, she was scared, etc. It seemed like this was a ridiculous pose for a professional chef.

What food staple would it be most difficult for you remove from your diet?

Granola bars.

If I told you that you could only eat one of the following for the rest of your life, but you could always get whatever you chose as fresh and as good as possible, which would you choose? Also, assume that whichever you chose would be seedless: (1) Oranges (2) Clementines (3) Tangerines

Tangerines, because tangerine is good in other things. Tangerine chicken: good. Tangerine altoids: good. Tangerine frappuccino at Starbucks: fine. Tangerine Jelly Belly: very good. But I doubt this will happen.

When and how did you learn to cook?

Never; in no wise.

A quirk of fate leaves you in each of the following cities for long enough to have only one meal. What/where do you eat? Boston, Cambridge, New York, LA.

Boston: Veal parmigiana at Dom’s.

Cambridge: Pizza, Noch’s

New York: I would drink an egg cream off of a pizza while playing stickball.

LA: La Serenata de Garibaldi on Pico Blvd.

Name a fruit, meat, soda, and candy you despise.

Pineapple, corned beef, root beer, mounds (I also hate coconut).

I have a teleporter, and can send you anywhere in the world for dinner. Where will you go, what will you have?

There was a restaurant in Paris called “caroline en face” (I think) in the Latin Quarter. I would go there and have their game hen served in a pastry “purse”. I would also like to go to Bulli someday.

Name a food that evokes a strong memory of a particular time and place in your life.

Arby’s roast beef sandwiches. When I was in High School, my dad would go to Arby’s on Sunday and take advantage of their “Five for Five” offer (five sandwiches for five dollars). They would all go in the freezer and I would get one per day in my lunch. This would happen for very many weeks.

What is your relationship to caffeine?

I drink a lot of coffee (it is 9:30 PM and I’m finishing a cup right now). I have coffee steady through the morning, I get coffee from starbucks in the afternoon, and then usually fill the starbucks cup with coffee from our office kitchen before I go home. Sometimes I also drink Diet Coke and iced tea. But I can get away with not drinking it for a day. I just get kind of tired.

What is the best burger you've ever had?

I will second Danny, and say Mo’ Better Meatty Meat Burgers. This might just be because they’re gone, but I remember them as being very amazing. They were located across from my Laundromat and I would go over and have lunch during my drying cycle.

I have a food replicator from Star Trek Next Generation, what do you order and how do you order it?

This is also hamburger related. My family would visit Niagara Falls, Ontario every other autumn. One time we went to the local townie shopping mall and ended up at this British Pub-type restaurant called “The Tudor Arms”. I remember having the most amazing hamburger there. I would make them take me back there again and again. I would like to have another one today to see if I was just being a weird little kid or if there was actually something great about them. Also, there was a breakfast sandwich on the menu at Friendly’s (I think it was called “Breakfast Sandwich D”). They took it off the menu a couple of years ago, but it is my all-time favorite breakfast. (Fried egg, cheddar cheese, sliced link sausage on an English muffin.)

Which comic book character would you most like to cook a meal for you? For which comic book character would you most like to cook a meal?

a.) Alfred Pennyworth. He has been Bruce Wayne’s cook for Bruce’s entire life. If he was bad at it, Bruce would have hired someone else. Although, come to think of it, bringing in someone else to cook means widening the circle of trust by an extra person which has had some pretty disastrous consequences in the past. But, whatever, I’ll say Alfred.

b.) Vic Sage, “The Question.” I don’t cook and he doesn’t have a mouth.

Are there any foods that would receive an f- grade from you?

I hate all kinds of snack chips that are not the normal kind of that chip. Like potato chips. They are fine, but I do not like BBQ, salt and vinegar, etc. Tostitos: fine. Tostitos with lime: bad. Also, I will not eat any kind of breakfast cereal. I think it is disgusting. That’s maybe my weirdest food thing.

In my family we often took to calling Ramen Noodles "Trash Noodles." Do you have any cute food nicknames?

My Grandma used to make some sort of noodle casserole called “slumgoolion”. I have no idea what this means.

Is there any food you are embarrassed about how much you like it?

The classic chicken burrito at El Pollo Loco. I think it is the best. But EPL has a reputation for being kind of low rent. Also, I love Orange Chicken at Chinese restaurants. I am always embarrassed because that’s what gringos always order at Chinese restaurants, but I genuinely love it.

What was your favorite meal in the dining halls of our fair college? How much would you pay to eat this meal tonight? To eat this meal, would you be willing to travel to Staten Island/Encino/a smelly cave in a swamp?

I liked the Chicken Piccatta. But it wasn’t that great. I don’t think I would pay anything for it. Adams House hot dogs were OK. I would pay the going rate Skooby’s or Pink’s for those. But not really more.

What are your favorite beers? What are your favorite wines? What are your favorite liquors? What are your favorite cocktails? Do you feel that you have a signature drink? If a FoodFriend ever had to order a drink for you while you were in the restroom, what drink should they order?

Beer: Sierra Nevada, Rolling Rock, Tecate.

Red Wine: Syrah

White Wine: Prosecco

Liquor: Gin.

Cocktail: Spritz (2 parts champagne, one part Campari, one part soda water).

Restroom: Beer is fine. Last question: What is your favorite food?

Sour Patch Kids. (Order from best to worst: red, orange, green, yellow).

9 Comments:

Blogger doogs said...

I'll save Jack the trouble and ask:

Which version of Alfred?

11:46 PM  
Blogger cijl said...

Warbs:
Good showing. I'm winning by a hair.

12:30 AM  
Blogger v.DANGER said...

Warbs:

What is the best way to send you my prepared meals on the FOX lot?

2:36 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Trivia Truth:

When Watchmen was first conceived, the idea was that each of the main characters would be an actual Charlton Comics hero. DC decided to insteat use their recently acquired Charlton properties in Crisis on Infinite Earths, and so the gritty versions that Alan Moore had conceived were redesigned and renamed, probably to the betterment of the series - Captain Atom became Doctor Manhattan, the Peacemaker became the Comedian, and the brutal and enigmatic Question became Rorschach. I'll tell you one thing, I'd think twice before having Rorschach in my home!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Warburton said...

vD. Maybe we could do it like those guys that get meals from "The Zone" company. They get a cooler outside their door every morning, and it contains all their food for the day. They aren't supposed to eat anything that isn't in the cooler. Fun Fact: One day, a guy I work with did this and accidentally got Louie Anderson's applesauce.

1:49 PM  
Blogger SC said...

some dudes at my work do that Zone thing. One of them gets so hungry that he'll drink any extra salad dressing.

1:58 PM  
Blogger v.DANGER said...

A fun thing to do to people on the zone diet is to ask to try some of their food and watch their reaction. They feel bad turning you down, but at the same time they get so little food and can't eat anything that doesn't come in the cooler so they hate to part with any of it. It's a really great way to torture a friend!

2:35 PM  
Blogger doogs said...

Right, so anyway: which fucking Alfred?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Warburton said...

doogs. Let's say Doug Moench era Batman (1984-88).

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home