Thursday, July 20, 2006

I'm back and I missed me

A full recount is impossible, but on 07/16, I went to DB Bistro Moderne, Daniel Boulud's cheaper-ish restaurant, and had the "Sundays in Alsace" prix fixe menu:

- A starter, Petit Farci Nicois(?). What I'm guessing was tuna, but tasted almost like sausage, stuffed in baby summer squashes, with an arugula and fennel salad.
- halibut with shrimp, squid, and fettucine in a butter sauce -- probably the best-cooked fish I've ever had.
- chocolate and hazelnut tart
- some petit fours
- qt. liter of sauvingon blanc
also bites of He-Hubbs's
- flammenkuche, which turned out to be a fancy ham and cheese pizza
- pancetta
- strawberry tart
- sip of DB Fizz, a ridiculously expensive gin & tonic topped with cucumber foam.

At some point I also had a Blue Moon draft at the Auction House. This beer tastes to me like creamy butter. It is exactly what I imagined the students of Hogwarts to be drinking when they ordered butterbeers.

4 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

welcome back. do they miss Jack at Auction House?

1:16 PM  
Blogger strach said...

The Auction House clientele is now mainly would-be thieves, most of whom believe that Jack is just a legend. That doesn't stop them from hoping that one day he'll return and invite them all up for a drink at his place.

2:52 PM  
Blogger MMW said...

I think that the foam trend is ill-considered, though a G&T with cucumber flavoring sounds appetizing.

5:10 PM  
Blogger she-hubbs said...

The DB Fizz was SO delicious.
The cucumber mainly served as a delightful scent all up in your nose while sipping on a g&t. Someday I hope to re-create it when I'm back in a functional, clean kitchen with stuff in it that was manufactured after 1960. But for now, my sad cooking hiatus begins.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home