Tuesday, July 25, 2006

New Reporter

Greetings, folks -- I'm some dude. Not a sophisticated eater, but what I lack in taste and charm, I make up for in sheer quantity of consumption.

When was the last time you ate an entire, full-size candy bar? What kind of candy bar was it?
I had a full-sized Twix yesterday. Obviously reasonable people can disagree on whether a pair of slender Twix bars equals one candy bar; I'll count it, though.

What is a food you ate all the time as a kid, but which now disgusts you?
I tend to only be more and more accepting of foods astime goes on, but I don't quite have the patience for Ruffles Sour Cream & Onion chips that I used to. I still eat them sometimes, but the greasy feeling afterwards no longer feels particularly worth it.

What is a recent food impulse buy which you regretted? Which you were delighted by?
Recent regret would be the Burger King meal I had at the San Jose Airport on Sunday: the Angus Steak Burger, with a side of onion rings and a Hershey's chocolate milk. I figured I should give Burger King one more try, and had predictably assy results. The Hershey's was excellent, though, and will serve as my answer to the second question.

What was the most satisfying meal you ever prepared for yourself and ate while totally drunk?
I'm guessing that I'm the least capable food preparer in the history of this blog. However, I once cobbled together some tuna with some Kraft mac 'n cheese that made me feel pretty much like a genius.

If you had to have one of the FoodFriends design your diet for a week, whom would you select?
He's not a frequent contributor, but I might have to go with Warburton -- I just feel like we're on the same wavelength food-wise.

What food staple would it be most difficult for you remove from your diet?
I drink a lot more water than most people, but that surely can't count... probably red meat. I've sworn off of it more than once, full of healthy thoughts and good intentions, only to slink back within a day or two.

If I told you that you could only eat one of the following for the rest of your life, but you could always get whatever you chose as fresh and as good as possible, which would you choose? Also, assume that whichever you chose would be seedless: (1) Oranges (2) Clementines (3) Tangerines
Tangerines, but I could do without all of these fairly easily. Generally I prefer artificial fruit flavoring to actual fruit. I'm not proud ofthis.

Also, do you prefer plastic wrap or aluminum foil?
Foil, as it creates more of a feeling of anticipation. Also, I mistakenly attribute superior keeping powers to the foil, because I have a lot of faith in machines and metallic things.

When and how did you learn to cook?
Still not really there yet. My ladyfriend and I started a tradition of cooking together every Sunday over the past year, partly in an effort to get my culinary feet wet. Was always a nice time, and the food was great, but I inevitably zoned out and left most of the work to her. Another thing I'm not proud of.

A quirk of fate leaves you in each of the following cities for long enough to have only one meal. What/where do you eat? Boston, Cambridge, New York, LA.
I'm not intimately familiar with the restaurant options in the first two cities. I once accompanied Koh and others to a place called (I think) Frank's Steakhouse, where I had an awesome butter-cooked T-Bone. Whether this was in Boston or Cambridge, I'm not sure... anyway, I'd go for another round of that.

New York: again, I'm limited mainly to the places Koh has taken me, and most of them are the ESPNZone in Times Square. I'll go with two liberally ketchuped dogs and a pina colada from Gray's Papaya. Delish, and very evocative of NY to me.

LA: Fogo de Chao on La Cienega, a Brazilian place where they bring around enormous hunks of animal for you to sample. Thirteen kinds of meat, excellent salad bar, a rare fancy place with an all-you-can-eat format... the total package. Delicious and fun.

Name a fruit, meat, soda, and candy you despise.
Fruit: Tomatoes. THANKS FOR NOTHING, TOMATOES
Meat: Ham and uncooked turkey bore me to no end.
Soda: I barely drink any soda, actually -- never cottoned to carbonation. I probably hate sparklingwater more than any soda.
Candy: Red-Hots. Good luck to them, but not for me.

I have a teleporter, and can send you anywhere in the world for dinner.
braggart

Where will you go, what will you have?
Japan, and a bunch of stuff. Love sushi, love udon, love tsunomono salad,l ove all of it. Plus I'd like to explore the whole Kobe beef thing.

Do you have any well-loved or detested cookbooks?
I enjoyed the Achewood Cookbook as a reading experience. Beyond that, I'm too much of a newbie to have opinions.

Name a food that evokes a strong memory of a particular time and place in your life.
SoBe drinks of all flavors take me back to senior year of college, as I used to get one every night in thedining hall. SoBe is overpriced and pretty terrible, but I'm a real sucker for lofty rhetoric in healthy-ish drinks. I'd actually buy the "Wisdom" flavor if I was studying, "Energy" if I was tired, etc.

What is your relationship to caffeine?
Basically don't touch the stuff. I drank coffee every morning in seventh and eighth grade, I guess in an effort to imitate my dad; I quit, though, as I was worried about stunting my worth. Since I don't drink soda either, I almost never have caffeine now, and it gives me a moderate headache when I do.

What is the best burger you've ever had?
In junior high, I went on vacation to the Virgin Islands with a friend and his family. We ate at a restaurant in St. Bart's where I had a burger on two pieces of burger-shaped garlic bread. Such a simple concept, but it blew me away, and I haven't had anything to approach it since.

I have a food replicator from Star Trek Next Generation, what do you order and how do you order it?
A pepperoni roll from Michaelangelo's Pizza in New Haven -- essentially some baked bread with several dozen slices of 'roni embedded in the crust. I'd also order my usual accompaniments, a bag of Andy Capp's Hot Fries and a bottle of Nesquik.

Which comic book character would you most like to cook a meal for you? For which comic book character would you most like to cook a meal?
I'd want Gambit to cook for me, as I like Cajun food and I figure his powers might somehow tangentially aid his cooking. I think I'd like to cook for Clayface, just to see how the process of him eating works.

Are there any foods that would receive an f- grade from you?
Goat cheese, feta cheese, a number of other fancy cheeses, and olives. Yeah, you heard me. I didn'tcome here to make friends.

Describe a work of art that inspired or affected your eating.
Like a lot of people, I think I became more actively engaged in eating after seeing the prison scenes in "Goodfellas". That's some stuff right there.

Based on what you've read of the diets of each food reporter, which food reporter would you eat?
I think She-Hubbs would be the right mix of good 'n good for ya. She mixes it up effectively.

Along the lines of "Salt," "Cod," and "History of the World In Six Glasses," what foodstuff would you most like to read a book about?
Yoo-Hoo. Love the stuff, but I still don't get why they went that way with it. The folly of Vanilla Yoo-Hoo would be a nice story to keep things going in the second half.

Is there any food you are embarrassed about how much you like it?
Probably all of it, really. If I start eating, I'll only stop if I either finish everything in front of me or if I'm in actual pain.

What are your favorite beers? What are your favorite wines? What are your favorite liquors? What are your favorite cocktails? Do you feel that you have a signature drink? If a FoodFriend ever had to order a drink for you while you were in the restroom, what drink should they order?
Amstel, Bass, Newcastle, Fat Tire and good ol' Miller Lite on the beer front. I prefer red wine to white, but am not savvy about specifics. And I'm a downright fool for sugary, girly liquors and drinks: Bailey's, Kahlua, fruity martinis. I am a White Russian guy above all else, and roundly mocked for it; if I'm peeing, please be a FoodFriend and order me one.

If you are a smoker, how does smoking affect your meals? Do you eat less? If you finish what you consider a very good dinner, how important is a post-prandial cigarette to you?
Not a tobacco smoker. Other smokeables increase my appetite in the way that you might expect.

Have you ever eaten food or consumed a beverage> while making love?
No -- I spill enough as it is.

Last question: What is your favorite food?
I have far too many delicious little sons and daughters in the food world to ever answer this question.

3 Comments:

Blogger she-hubbs said...

You told me once that you wanted to start watching a Food Network show. Did you do so? What do you watch, food-wise?

7:46 PM  
Blogger SC said...

If you just can't stay awake, do you ever fire up a Red Bull or something?

10:26 AM  
Blogger OwenE said...

Haven't yet found an FN show. I'm actually too lazy to watch TV these days, which is something.

As for pick-me-ups, I used to have a Rockstar every afternoon at work, which got me nicely jittery and bloated. But I don't usually have trouble staying awake, as I stay up late as a rule and I've never figured out how to nap.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home