Friday, July 21, 2006

What I Ate in Japan

Wednesday

Dinner - Ninja Restaurant
Steak

Thursday

Breakfast - Hotel at Shinagawa
sweet red beans
brown rice porrige w/ scallions
miso soup w/ tofu and wakame
salmon
poached egg in broth
swiss chard
umeboshi (pickled plum)
brown tea

Lunch - Shinjuki
Chicken Soba
Qoo

Dinner
Okonomiyaki

Friday

Breakfast - Sushi Dai, Tsukiji Fish Market
sweetened egg omelet
green tea
toro
flounder (hirame) w/ salt and lime
sea orchin
kimedai (red snapper)
miso soup with fish
hokkigai (clam)
sawara w/ ponzu
maguro marinated in soy sauce
agi (horse mackeral)
shiruedi (white shrimp)
tarako negitoro (roe, toro, scallions) wrapped in seaweed
eel w/ teriyaki
scallop

Lunch - Ginza
spicy ramen
gyoza
coke

Dinner
Cream Cheese Roasted Chicken Sub at Subway

Saturday

Breakfast - Train to Nagoya
blueberry danish
Bento box
pocari sweat

Lunch
Hitsu-mabushi (eel)

Dinner
shrimp tempura udon

Sunday

Breakfast
Packaged fried pork and cucumber sandwiches from store at train station

On train
Gerard Mulot butter cookies
chocolate eclair

Snacks - Asakusa
kibidango
soft roasted rice cracker
yakitori

Lunch
Hoppy mixed w/ Sake

Dinner - Harajuku
Strawberry crepe with strawberry ice cream and whipped cream

Monday - Tokyo Disneyland

Breakfast
roasted turkey leg
churro w/ chocolate
tiramisu ice cream sandwich

Lunch
beef tacos with lettuce
hi-c

Walking Around
mini-cheesecake
assorted nuts
churros

Dinner
slice of bacon pizza

Tuesday

Lunch- Norita Airport
teriyaki chicken
gyoza
mineral water

4 Comments:

Blogger conrad said...

Some notes:

-The steak at the Ninja Restaurant was astonishingly small. It was served after a long wait by a "ninja" who was a five-foot-tall woman in a child's Halloween costume.

-Qoo is a Coca-Cola product I bought for the adorable cartoon on the bottle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qoo)

-Okonomiyaki is a DIY type affair that is supposed to end up resembling a pancake. Mine resembled a bunch of foods thrown together in a shapeless pile. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki)

-Breakfast at the Tsukiji Fish Market is the thing everyone says you should do, and I agree. It is wonderfully bracing to watch a man wrestling a tuna at 4am. My favorite thing here was the eel.

-The Cream Cheese Roasted Chicken Sub at Subway was good. They also offered a hot dog sub option. The bread was better than any bread I've had at an American Subway.

-70% of people on the Bullet train were wearing surgical masks. This is moderately higher than the 30% of the Japanese population who seem to wear surgical masks at all times. Japan is a land of walking nightmares.

-Hitsu-mabushi was my favorite thing on the trip because I love eel. A must-do when in Nagoya.
http://epicureandebauchery.blogspot.com/2005/05/horai-origins-of-hitsumabushi.html

-At some point Sunday I began consuming everything I could get my hands on, especially sweets. A likely explanation: I was on my period.

-In Tokyo Disney I saw a middle-aged father wearing a t-shirt that said "My next husband will be normal."

11:57 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I have a "my next husband will be normal" t-shirt - I got it from Lienert at a gift swap. Thank you, Lienert!

12:27 PM  
Blogger v.DANGER said...

I hate this post.

12:50 PM  
Blogger zachkay said...

When I opened up food reporter and saw this post, it was like I was in "The Wind Up Bird Chronicles" and this was some kind of climactic revelation—it was almost as if I had earned the right to read this post. My path is coming to a fork.

Anyway, I still haven't read the post, but I bet it's fine.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home