Sunday, September 24, 2006

Another restaurant review

I went to BLT Steak in Manhattan last weekend and had my first (American?) Kobe beef. It was a "cheap" cut of skirt steak, but it still truly tasted like butter.

However, BLT's menu proudly talked about how they use A Number 1 corn-fed midwestern cattle, which if you've read The Omnivore's Dilemma, translates to antibiotic-pumped, knee deep in own shit, drug-resistant e. coli-ridden poo cows. But their popovers were the greatest thing I've eaten in the history of the world. So if you want a heavenly popover with expensive poo-filled animal slave meat go to BLT Steak!

3 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

Junior and I neglected to report that we both had some wagyu beef at Boa in Santa Monica. It was not on the menu, but the waiter informed me this was the "Lamborgheni of steaks," and that Boa is one of three places on the West Coast to have such meat. Naturally, I ordered it, and was at that point informed that it cost ninety-six dollars. Fearing the awkwardness of withdrawing my order, and relatively confident that I wouldn't be paying, I held my ground.

This steak was terrific, well-marbled and as soft and pliable as a muffin while still rich in cowy flavor. I ate every bit of it, which is very unusual for me. It was worth one year of brain disease.

12:38 PM  
Blogger SC said...

EDIT: lamborghini

12:39 PM  
Blogger mattpod said...

BLT Steak also claims to cook the steaks at 1700 degrees and has terrific mushroms.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home