Thursday, May 18, 2006

5.17.06

"Cinnamon bun" instant oatmeal

Baby carrots
French vanilla yogurt
Vanilla pudding -- oops! A lot of vanilla.
Fuji Apple

Momofuku
Nigori Sho Chiku Bai sake -- This is unfiltered sake, so it looks sort of milky. It's tasty and sweet. I liked it but probably prefer a good dry sake.
Sip of Caitlin's Hitachino White Ale
Pork bun -- This was a little different than your typical pork bun. The wrapping wasn't in dumpling form, but more like a little sandwich, filled with slices of braised pork belly, pickled cucumber, scallions, hoisin sauce
Momofuku Ramen -- Ramen noodles in broth with shredded pork, braised pork belly, pickled root or vegetable (we decided it was probably bamboo shoot), scallions, fish cake, nori, topped with poached egg
Bite of Kim's ginger scallion ramen
Bite of Caitlin's chicken Ramen

I finally made it to Momofuku. Everything was incredibly good with the exception of the noodles, which were fine but not exceptional. I hope I don't make anyone on the internet mad when I say that I think the noodles themselves are better at Menchanko Tei in midtown -- they are toothier (in a good way) and more flavorful. Everything else was terrific, and even being a novice pork eater, I think I can say the pork (Berkshire) was really great. The pork belly was especially good and tender. In the pork bun, it had a distinctly bacon taste without being fried. So, I guess my opinion is that this place is good and I would/will probably go again, but it maybe isn't quite up to the crazy hype (3 write-ups in the Times 3 weeks in a row). Oh, the portions are also big, I could have shared my bowl of Ramen with someone and saved a bunch of money. Also, they have an attractive hostess.

Jack's Courtyard
Some of Jack's Own DTour spritzers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home