Tuesday, March 21, 2006

March 21, 2006

Food Friends & Hunger Enemies,

As you may have heard, last night was my turn to cook the meal to be served at the weekly 6th street magnificence consortium dinner. I learned two things from the experience. (1) It is probably not a great idea to cook a recipie for the first time for guests even if the only difference is number of servings cooked and (2) a welding glove doubles excellently as one of those things you put under a hot pot to prevent it from marking the table.

The menu was as follows:

Appetizer:
Trader Joe's samosas served with premade tamarind chutney. This was accompanied by the delightful mango cocktail that SC has already described to you.

Main Course:
Rajma (a kidney bean based dahl), raita (plain yogurt with tomatoes, cucumber, and red onions), Trader Joe's garlic naan, vegetable rice, and tandoori chicken (baked in a conventional oven not an approximation of a tandoori oven that Alton Brown has convinced me can be made with bricks and a clay pot in a conventional oven). This was paired with a Gewurtzameiner from Trader Joe's. I read somwhere or madeup that strong German wines go well with spicy Asian food and I think that proved to be true.

Desert Course:
Dates, grapes, and hazelnut wafers served with chai tea. The tea is guaranteed to wet even the most stoic woman's panties if that is your intention. (That was not my intention last night.)

Post-Desert Course:
Anytihng from the in-house scotch bar. Chivas seemed to be what most drank.

The recipies for the vegetable rice, raita, and tandoori chicken were delivered to my from my mother in a paniced late sunday night phone call.

I see that I have about fifteen more questions to answer. I'm not going to do that. However, I will say that I agree with Jack on the subject of beverage reportage. Let's not get sloppy. Resting on one's laurels has destroyed many a food reporting community before us and shall continue to destroy many more food reporting communities long after we die the grisley death that awaits us all.

1 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

V., what was the best restaurant in your home town?

Aside from India, what nation's cuisine do you most enjoy?

Name a thing your mother makes that you miss terribly. Name a thing she makes that tastes awful.

What fictional character do you think you most eat like?

What is your least favorite restaurant in LA? In Cambridge?

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home