Monday, May 15, 2006

Weekend In Review 1, 5.12.06 -- Friday

Internless Lunch @ The New Yorker
Grilled chicken w/ sweet chili sauce
Roasted beets w/ dill and goat cheese
Roasted zucchini
Vermicelli rice noodles
chocolate chip cookie

Cafe Sabarsky
Bite of Joel's sauteed sausage with Riesling sauerkraut and roasted potatoes
Spaetzle with wild mushrooms, peas, sweet corn, tarragon
Bite of Rhoda's boiled beef
Bite of Joel's wienerschnitzel
Bites of: Sachertorte (chocolate cake with apricot confiture), klimttorte (hazelnut cake with layers of chocolate ganache), mozarttorte (this had some layers of chocolate and pistachio, maybe not called mozarttorte)

Joel and Rhoda are my second cousings or something (they are a little younger than my grandparents, not my age). I barely know them at all, but they came to New York and heard I was here and invited me for dinner. Picture Joel as a Borscht Belt comedian. He makes a lot of jokes.

Cafe Sabarsky is the cafe/restaurant in the Neue Galerie and the idea is that it is a Viennese cafe with all sort of Viennese and German pastries and cakes. Our waitress was very nice and gave us each an extra dessert (who could possibly eat that much?). At one point I realized that I was sitting in a Central European style cafe with a guy playing classical music on the piano while a bunch of old folks told me stories about New York in the 40s. Since moving to New York, I've discovered that a part of my family feels very German/Austrian.


Home
Jim Beam

Mona's
Whiskey/coke

Blue and Gold
Jim Beam/coke

1 Comments:

Blogger Zachary said...

I'm glad we independently came up with the exact same vocabulary for posting about intern lunch (I was also obviously going to call it internless lunch.)

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home