Wednesday, July 12, 2006

6SDC - The Communist Dinner

I feel that it's common decency for a guest at 6SDC to relay the menu. However, SC had the uncommon decency to provide delicously flavored vodka shots after every two courses which means my memory is not so good.

I remember:
-Caviar on crisp bread
-Some delicious Thai summer rolls with a perfectly spicy peanut sauce
-A shrimp and rice dish of which I ate no fewer than three servings
-A fish soup (Russian) that is rivaled only by SC's African fish stew
-An elegant salad with pineapple
-Another delicious fish dish
-A campari cocktail ala Danger
-A cocktail I invented called "Blood of the Bourgeois" (name hattip: Danger, myself, Felix Dzerzhinsky)
-Friendship
-Confusion
-Ice cream with one of two toppings, and I remember being excited in the manner of a small child that I got one of the ice creams with M&M topping

SC, please forgive me and report anything I missed.

2 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

The soup was Sweet & Sour Catfish Canh, from Medina's girlfriend's cookbook.

The fish dish was trout fried in sesame oil which I screwed up pretty badly, resulting in a mangled pile of fish bits that managed to taste okay.

The dessert was ice cream sundaes, symbolizing the triumph of American freedom over Communism.

The "caviar" was canned salmon roe - I assumed it would be good because it had Russian letters on the can. I don't know anything about caviar, but this was awful. The crackers, Russian as well, were worse than cardboard. These items were from Arkadia European Deli on Santa Monica. No one go there.

6:33 PM  
Blogger SC said...

V. also brilliantly reinterpreted this as the "Bad Ideas That Bring Misery" dinner when he suggested we get into the bourbon.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home