Thursday, June 01, 2006

Let's Do This.

Dudes.

Greetings from gayest Chelsea, Manhattan. I hope you're ready for a lot of stories about Chelsea Market and beer!

When was the last time you ate an entire, full-size candy bar? What kind of candy bar was it?
Lion Bar. Three weeks ago.

What is a food you ate all the time as a kid, but which now disgusts you?
My favorite snack when I was like 5 was a cold hot dog straight out of the package, no bun. I think I liked it because Luke Skywalker and Yoda ate something resembling uncooked hot dogs while on Dagobah.

What is a recent food impulse buy which you regretted? Which you were delighted by?
Regret: One of those ready-made Indian dishes (vegetable biryani) found in the International aisle of Whole Foods. Not only did it taste like shit, but, according to the package, it had like 40% of your daily allowance of saturated fat and sodium.
Delight: On Tuesday, I was in Buon Italia in Chelsea Market (see?) and I spied an imported tub of gelato cioccolato con pepperoncini. I briefly hesitated, asking myself, "Do I really want to spend 27 dollars on a 2 kg (4.4 lb) tub of gelato that I almost surely will not finish?" I do not need to tell you how I responded to myself. Point is, I've got a shitload of delicious chocolate and chili flavored ice cream now, so if anyone wants any, I really need to get rid of it.

What was the most satisfying meal you ever prepared for yourself and ate while totally drunk?
One giant pot of chili, of which I ate half a bowl, passed out, and let the rest sit uncovered on the stove overnight, spoiling it. It should be noted that this meal was prepared at like six in the evening.

If you had to have one of the FoodFriends design your diet for a week, whom would you select?
Can I say Dan-O? I will say Dan-O.

What are the shows you watch the most on Food Network? What are your thoughts on: Rachael Rae, Alton Brown, Nigella Lawson?
Don't watch much FN. I do like Michael Chiarello, only because I would like to host constant dinner parties at my awesome house in wine country. Most of the time I don't even really pay attention to what he's cooking.

What food staple would it be most difficult for you remove from your diet?
Fish.

If I told you that you could only eat one of the following for the rest of your life, but you could always get whatever you chose as fresh and as good as possible, which would you choose? Also, assume that whichever you chose would be seedless: (1) Oranges (2) Clementines (3) Tangerines
Oranges.

Also, do you prefer plastic wrap or aluminum foil?
Aluminum foil only. Except for cheeses, in which case wax paper. Never plastic wrap.

When and how did you learn to cook?
I don't know how to cook. When I do cook, I generally take something I enjoyed at a restaurant and find a similar recipe online or something. It works pretty well.

A quirk of fate leaves you in each of the following cities for long enough to have only one meal. What/where do you eat? Boston, Cambridge, New York, LA.
Boston/Cambridge: Dali: Salt cod, assorted tapas.
New York: Nobu: Tasting menu, but I would make sure to get the wasabi lobster, black cod with miso, rock shrimp tempura, and yellowtail with jalapeno.
LA: Sasabune: Tasting menu, which hopefully involves the crab hand roll.

Name a fruit, meat, soda, and candy you despise.
Grapefruit, beef (for prion-related reasons only), pretty much every diet soda, dark chocolate.

I have a teleporter, and can send you anywhere in the world for dinner. Where will you go, what will you have?
Is this teleporter also a time machine? If so, I would like to go to Delmonico's in New York circa 1893. If not, then I would go to these sushi places I read about near the Tokyo fish market, where people line up to eat the freshest sushi at like 7am.

Do you have any well-loved or detested cookbooks?
No.

What is your relationship to caffeine?
Not a coffee guy. When working, I drink anywhere from 4-10 Cokes per day, but only because they're free and I like the taste. Red Bull makes me jittery (in a good way). I don't need caffeine to get me going in the morning, though.

I have a food replicator from Star Trek Next Generation, what do you order and how do you order it?
Where did you get that?

Describe a work of art that inspired or affected your eating.
After I saw "A Very Long Engagement," I went and bought very fancy French cocoa , a baguette, some farm-style butter and honey, then proceeded to dip the shit out of those bastards. I still get a hankering for it every now and then.

Based on what you've read of the diets of each food reporter, which food reporter would you eat?
Junior.

Along the lines of "Salt," "Cod," and "History of the World In Six Glasses," what foodstuff would you most like to read a book about?
Hamburgers. I'm sure this book exists.

What was your favorite meal in the dining halls of our fair college? How much would you pay to eat this meal tonight? To eat this meal, would you be willing to travel to Staten Island/Encino/a smelly cave in a swamp?
Tie: Chicken fried steak and a cheeseburger with a fried egg on top, courtesy of Winston in the Adams House Dining Hall Grill. Having pretty much sworn off beef five years ago, I would not pay nor travel for either, but if I still ate cowmeat, I would go to that smelly cave and pay 12 dollars.
Bonus Fun Harvard Memory!: One time I went to order a cheeseburger with an egg on top for myself and a hot dog for DAK '00. I told Winston "I would like a cheeseburger with a fried egg on top and a hot dog." I was given a cheeseburger with a flayed hot dog on top, and over that was a fried egg. It was delicious.

Describe what you would consider, for you, in the college dining halls, a typical breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch.
Breakfast: Nope.
Lunch: Turkey sandwich, fries, coke.
Dinner: Whatever the entree was, and probably a cheeseburger, coke.
Brunch: No.

What are your favorite beers? What are your favorite wines? What are your favorite liquors? What are your favorite cocktails? Do you feel that you have a signature drink? If a FoodFriend ever had to order a drink for you while you were in the restroom, what drink should they order?
Now we're talking. Beer: B, BL. Wine: Sancerre (white) Montefalco Rosso (rosso). Liquor: Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Cocktail: Dark and Stormy, which I am claiming as both my signature drink and the official drink of the summer (tied with white wine spritzers and white Lillet spritzers). If I were in the restroom of a place that had competent dark and stormies, then, yeah, obviously, but it's probably safer just to get me a Dewar's and soda. Or a B.

Have you ever eaten food or consumed a beverage while making love?
Does pussy count? (BOO-YAHHH!)

Last question: What is your favorite food?
Pussy.

2 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

Murbles, can you lay out in brief your case against beef?

11:04 AM  
Blogger Murbles said...

SC-

Because I am insane, I believe that Mad Cow Disease (and its human incarnation, variant Creutzfeld Jacobs Disease) is an epidemic waiting to happen. I believe this because it has emerged in every country that uses the same cattle feeding practices that are used in the US. Why hasn't it caught on here? Because the US beef industry is completely unregulated and less than one percent of all US cattle are even tested. Compare this to the nation of Japan, which tests every single one of their cows. For this reason I would eat Kobe beef without hesitation. Also, and apologies to those who have heard this story, a friend of a friend had the following exchange with a friend of his, a doctor, whom he hadn't seen in like ten years.

FRIEND: Wow! Crazy running into you! I haven't seen you in like ten years!
DOCTOR: Oh, hey man! Great to see you. Look, I have to run, but we should catch up sometime. Oh, and don't eat beef, Mad Cow is the new AIDS. See ya!

zachkay-
I never eat at Dali when I'm in Cambridge because it is not on my way from my hotel to the castle. Pretty much anything outside of a five block radius of the castle is pretty much out of the question.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home