Thursday, June 22, 2006

6.21.06 - A lot of people were born today

Lunch:
Blueberry yogurt
Baby carrots
Gala apple
Chocolate pudding

Nick and Toni's Cafe -- Grandma's Birthday
2 glasses Cabernet Sauvignon
Spaghetti with pancetta, lemon, duck egg - I was hoping this would be pasta with a light, lemony cream sauce with poached egg. It was an unmitigated disaster. It had way too much of everything -- too much lemon, too much garlic, too much black pepper, too much red pepper -- and it looked like a bird's nest made out of trash (I especially didn't need horrible croutons in there), which made the fried egg on top sort of weird.
Flank steak with herb pesto, roasted vegetables

This place did not have good food. Also, I am not an asshole about wine, I really don't know very much about it, but the logic of the stemmed glass seems pretty sound to me. This place had cheap plasticky glasses that had a base but no stem so you had to put your fingers all over cup. I just figure if you are going to charge $25 for a shitty entree, you can probably afford to have some mediocre wine glasses. Oh, this place is a second version of a restaurant out in the Hamptons, and it looked like it had the same clientele in New York. Whatever, Grandma had fun for her birthday, so don't tell her I thought it was bad (she doesn't read What I Ate anymore, got too preachy).


Dubs' Birthday
Some Jost Mojito
Some Jost Daquairi (you guys should totally get this guy for your next party)
A stella

13 Comments:

Blogger Zachary said...

My favorite part was when you poured mojito out of that cooking pot into a huge measuring cup and drank it from there. It seemed like you were doing some very scientific drinking.

10:16 AM  
Blogger mdp said...

It was a gravy separator and it worked pretty well. My favorite part was when we screamed a bunch of things, most of which were names of Futurama characters.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Zachary said...

My favorite part was screaming "Zoidberg" and I also enjoyed screaming "Amy."

11:12 AM  
Blogger mdp said...

Zoidberg was definitely my favorite, but Fry was pretty good to. I was glad I got to scream Bender at the end. Cailin's dog seemed pretty happy throughout all of this. She had a big smile.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Zachary said...

When I was home for Memorial Day my Mom was really excited about these new wine glasses she bought that don't have a stem and are enormous and can be used for things besides wine.

2:44 PM  
Blogger mdp said...

But then you get your hot hands all over where the wine is.

2:44 PM  
Blogger SC said...

The She-Wrenshall/Wrenshall married couple would be a food force of unequalled might.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

One is meant to hold the bowl of a glass of red wine - the heat from your hand stimulates the wine and releases a pleasing smell. One is meant to hold the stem of a glass of white wine and one is a bum, a dirty street bum if one does not. One probably honks on boners for nickels and crack behind the Getty station if one holds their white wine by the bowl.

10:19 AM  
Blogger SC said...

Somebody guestblog the She-Hubbs/Wrenshall baby's diet, at age 15.

10:21 AM  
Blogger mdp said...

Jack, I always thought red wine is supposed to be at room temperature and so you don't want the warmth from your hands on that either, but I am willing to believe you. Anyway, the stem serves a second function which is important for red wine which is that it make it easier to swirl and aerate the wine.

12:55 PM  
Blogger mdp said...

We are the lowest-rent food blog on the internet.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Zachary said...

I like drinking wine from paper cups. But that's just because my family lives in a an igloo.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

My source for the wine ettiquette is a certain fictional cat you may have heard of named a-Ray Smuckles-a, so I think we can bank on it.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home